Whether you’re driving a Hummer or a hybrid, you can start improving gas mileage with a few simple changes to your driving habits and maintenance routine. Read on to find out how you can start saving cash every week.
Improving Fuel Economy While Driving
It’s no secret that gunning the engine and unleashing the beast down 93 or 95 puts a drain on your gas tank – but you may be surprised at just how much it can siphon.
According to the Department of Energy, your car’s engine gulps up to 33% more gas when you’re speeding and accelerating quickly on the highway.
And depending on your car, for every 5 mph you travel above 60 mph, you’re paying an additional 24 cents per gallon. So cruising at 75 mph could be costing you an extra 75 cents for every gallon you buy. Check out this graph provided by the Department of Energy to see just how quickly gas mileage drops off at higher speeds.
Here’s a quick rundown of other good ways to improve your fuel economy while behind the wheel:
- Ditch the Dead Weight – Your mother-in-law doesn’t count, but the marble garden gnome she gave you does. Every 100 lbs of extra weight could cost you an extra 7 cents a gallon.
- Autopilot – Cruise control on the highways lets the car manage RPMs for you.
- Sealed Environment – Keeping your windows shut while on the highway improves aerodynamics and saves up to 10% of wasted gas.
Maintenance & Other Ways to Improve Gas Mileage
Now you know how to save when you’re on the road – but what about in the garage? Here are some other tips to give your car that extra economical edge:
- Under Pressure – Boost your gas mileage by up to 3.3% with properly inflated tires. Rotate them often to make sure the certain tires aren’t being worn down.
- Optimum Octane – Be sure to use your car’s recommended motor oil grade to get an extra 2% fuel economy.
Be wary of any devices that claim to boost your car’s mileage by big margins. Chances are that if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. The EPA recently debunked a range of “gas-saving” products – check out the list here.
An easy way to make sure your vehicle’s operating at the best gas mileage possible is to take it in for servicing. Drop by Colonial’s nearest MA car dealership to get your tires checked out and rotated, your oil changed, and any other maintenance and repairs for legitimate gas-mileage improvements.